Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ho-Hum

"I went on a diet, gave up drinking and peach eating, and in fourteen days, I lost two weeks." 
(can't remember the guy's name who said this)

So I'm feeling old... physically, decrepit. I know that in ten years, I will wish that I felt as "old" as I do now... hence my bewilderment when pondering the thought of "making it" to senior citizen status. "If I feel this bad now, how am I going to feel when I really am old?" Hmmm

Adam is feeling the same way. The other day he said "I'm aging like bologna." We realize that we need to make some lifestyle changes. This irritates us. We make jokes about people who "live healthy". There are people who lead extremely healthy lifestyles, and you can see it in their fresh faces... it's nice. Then there are those (the ones we make jokes about) that you can't see it in their faces... or their bodies for that matter, so they have to tell you about it... all day long.  "Hey if you need me, I'll be at the gym... workin' my abbs." "Wow! feelin' great today, did a colon cleanse last night.", and the like.

Adam and I do not want to turn into those people, although I highly doubt that we will being that we're the people who say things like "If you need me, I'll be having my third cup of coffee." And, "I feel like crap today, must've been that chocolate fest I had at midnight."

At the same time, these bodies are temples for the Living God... no pressure there. We have to find a balance.

I truly believe that it begins in the mind. Not in a groovy, Deepak Chopra kind of way, but in a "It's what God says over and over in His Word." kind of way.

In other words, fill your mind with healthy things, and your body will show it.

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

Wouldn't it be nice if we heard (and more importantly, that I was heard) saying things like "Man, I feel great today! Had a great quiet time with the Lord this morning... I can do anything today!" And, "If you need me, I'll be reading my Bible."  Anyone who's regularly practiced those things, will tell you that this is truly how you feel. What's most important is not so much that you feel this way, it's that the Lord says that you literally can do anything, in Him. When I live healthy in Him, I feel like a teenager... (minus the hormonal outbursts of wrath, insanity, and thinking that everyone is dumb but me...)

My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your sight;
Keep them in the midst of your heart. For they are life to those who find them. And health to all their body.
Proverbs 4:20-22 

No comments:

Post a Comment