Friday, December 18, 2009

Some Words

A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children

Here are a few words posted on Dad's online obituary guest book.





With my deepest condolences, I met Jr. on January 3, 1963. Jr. was 18 years old I was 17 years old. Jr. and I entered the U.S. Army at the same time and went through boot camp together. Jr. and I became the good friends for the rest of our lives. Jr. was a great person and a joy to be around, he also was number one in our companies P T test; I was number 2 ... We continued our friendship after the service both working for the city of Pittsburgh. I will miss not seeing and talking to Jr. as I have for many years. He will always be in my prayers. I know he will be missed my all....




jun-miss you -always were my best cousin more like a brother -your mom and grandma and aunt angie will be happy to see you again-sorry you didnt get a chance to woop me on your new pool table keep praticing ill be there with you again some day --Love you--Mikie



 

I went to SHHS with Jimmy. We were on the baseball team, too. I was a Captain on the Pittsburgh Fire department, where we would tell lies to each other when we needed something done at the Engine House. He was always upbeat. I will miss him.




...He always took the time to say hello and have a conversation whenever we saw him. If you ever needed a hand, Jim would go out of his way to help, no matter what he was doing...


Pooch...work has been boring since you left and now life will be more boring now you're gone. What a riot you were and what a huge heart you had. We always knew you were in the building and now you left the building for good. Thanks for all the laughs and love brother and Gods speed...


...he always made me laugh. May your many memories of Jim always make you smile. I know I always will when I think of him...


...he never failed to make us laugh about something almost everyday


...He was so socialable and loving. I remember his one tomato plant last summer and his yellow pumpkin growing over the hill he found. He always made us laugh! Daisy is still at your house everyday looking for her buddy...


He was definitely quite the character and always found a way to make people laugh. He always spoke of his "bride" with such respect and I know he truly loved his grandchildren. He will be missed by all of us.




He always had a smile on his face and a story or joke to tell. He always spoke of his family and his love was very apparent. Jim will continue to live in your hearts and thru the many memories I am sure you have




Jim was the first neighbor I met when I moved to *****, and like another neighbor said, "He's the first one everyone met." He always yelled a funny story from across the street while he was working (always in motion), and gave me an update on his beloved grandchildren. He had a big heart and a generous spirit. He will be missed by so many...






...a man of such character, through love or acquaintance, is not only remembered but also held in the highest regard... This is his legacy. This was his life. R.I.P. Jim



This is part of a eulogy I wrote, but decided not to read at his service:
So as I thought about it, I realized that my Dad had to have given his life to the Lord. “You will know them by their fruit.” What are the fruits of the Spirit? Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, all of which Dad exhibited, more and more and more each day. Ever more as time passed. His speech was rough at times, his struggles, his sins, were laid bare in front of us… an open book Dad was. A fascinating, comedic, mysterious, thrilling, even romantic at times, open book, that we just couldn’t stop reading… and just like any good book, when we reach the end, we are saddened. We wish that the Author would have given us more to read… we hope that the Author has written a sequel. Well, the Good News is, the Author has written a sequel to Dad’s life, and I can’t wait to read it. Alas, I will have to wait, until the Divine Author is finished writing my story here on earth. When that time comes, I am certain I will be thanking the Lord for his taking me home, the same as my father did, just hours before he died. Until then, Daddy, we’ll be telling your story, and your memory will live on, I believe it will live until the day we all meet in Glory. Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us the privilege of having Crazy Jr. for a Father.


No comments:

Post a Comment