Monday, December 21, 2009

"The Best Christmas Ever"



When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

Some of you will remember that when Dad found out that he was coming home from the hospital, he said "This is going to be the best Christmas ever."  When I told Adam this, he said that he got chills up and down his spine thinking, "He's going to see Jesus this Christmas." A couple of days after the funeral, some dear friends emailed to see how we were doing, and ended their note with this: "I couldn't help thinking of something you said your Dad said not long ago---This was going to be his best Christmas!!!! It sure is as he is spending it with Jesus!!!!!"

 
The photo I posted above has been etched in my mind over the past several days as Christmas swiftly and almost stealthily approaches. I've always loved this picture of Dad... I think in part because of the sense of wonderment in his eyes. The sight of Dad in awe of anything, let alone Santa Clause, never failed to bring a smile to the beholder who knew him. In fact Dad's friends blew this picture WAY UP for a surprise 40th birthday party they had for him...

Truth be told, I don't know that this is what Dad had in mind (Christmas in Heaven)... at least not in full.  He did say that he wanted to "just make it to Christmas". Perhaps he wanted his beloved family gathered around for Christmas Eve, the smell of the seven fishes permeating the house... Mob Hits (yes, for real) playing in the background... a time to smile again for a moment before he went on to see the Lord. I don't know for sure. What I do know, is that he most likely has that same look of wonderment in his eyes... intensified a million fold... 

As we meander about our traditional Christmas Eve gathering, feeling like children, acting like children who lost their Dad, I will try and keep in mind that our Christmas celebrations, with or without Dad, have been, and will continue to be, and at their best, mere reflections of  what Dad is experiencing in the FULL presence of His Glory.  We miss him, but I know he doesn't miss us... and this gives me joy. Dad sees clearly... every day is Christmas for Dad now.  That "Good news of great joy" we celebrate this time of year? Dad is there with the angels saying "“Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased." Dad knows fully. He is in the presence of the living God for Christimas... try wrapping your head around that one.... especially with my pea brain and in the wee hours of the morning... I can't. I won't. Not until I'm with Dad. In God's presence. Merry Christmas!!!

 In his presence is fullness of joy


1 comment:

  1. Amen! You brought me to tears. Love you.
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete