Monday, December 28, 2009

His Weary Soul Rejoices



I was going to try and lighten things up a bit and talk about how on December 23, 2009, I single handedly "killed" Santa Claus, his mutant rabbit friend, and the creepy fairy that collects our teeth... but I went to church yesterday and we sung my favorite Christmas hymn... suddenly I saw the importance of a more edifying post... simultaneously the Lord put in my heart what I've been trying to convey to others about my Dad... He did this through O Holy Night. 
I don't know when my father accepted the Bible as God's written Word to us... I don't know when the Holy Spirit showed him the truth, but I do know that it had to have been several years ago. He would actually "witness" to people in the bars, at work... proclaiming the Gospel, quoting Scripture, all the while telling people that he knew it was the truth, yet he also told them not to look at a his life because he shamefully wasn't following it... that little fact is a whole other post, but I'd like to focus on his favorite verse... the one that he would quote continually to others "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?" 
Dad knew the importance of his eternal soul, and that there was only One Way to save it. I want to write about his suffering... the indescribable agony of that last 24 hours... how the hospice nurse couldn't get to him to increase his medications because of the ice storm... for 6 hours... but do you really want to hear the morbid details of that story? What I will share is how when Teresa (the hospice nurse) finally arrived, she came in humming the tune "In Christ Alone". We mused in front of her...we couldn't believe that "of all mornings for there to be an ice storm... why was it when Dad was agonizing so?" She looked me in the eye confidently and lovingly and said "We don't know why, but there is a perfect reason for it." I do believe this is when Dad was soberly realizing his salvation...
As I sang my favorite Christmas hymn yesterday, I thought of Dad in those last hours... about his soul...about him now... I changed the words in my heart and even though some of it slipped between Dad's meeting Jesus, and me celebrating His birth, you can see Dad's life, death, and eternal soul encapsulated in this song.  You can see, all of us in this song... Lost and Found. I praise God that I am found. I praise Him that Dad is found. I praise Him because He still seeks and saves the Lost.

 
My version of O Holy Night, as sung in my heart yesterday morning:


O Holy Night, the stars are brightly shining.

It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.

Long lay my Dad in sin and error pining.

Till He appeared and Dad's soul felt its worth.

A thrill of hope his weary soul rejoices,

For yonder broke a new and glorious morn.

He fell on his knees! Oh, hear the angel voices Dad!

O night divine, the night when you met Christ;

O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!

O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!



Led by the light of faith serenely beaming,

With a glowing heart by His throne he kneels.

O'er the world a star is sweetly gleaming,

Now come the wisemen from out of the Orient land.

The King of kings seated on His throne;

In all our trials born to be our friend.

He knows our need, our weakness is no stranger,

Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!

Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!



Truly He taught us to love one another,

His law is love and His gospel is peace.

Chains did He break, for Dad is now my brother.

And in His name all oppression shall cease.

Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,

With all our hearts we praise His holy name.

Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,

His power and glory ever more proclaim!

His power and glory ever more proclaim!
AMEN!!!!

PS The Christmas photo of my kids has absolutely nothing to do with this post... this type of blogging is all the rage in Europe at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment