Sunday, December 13, 2009

He Lost The Battle But He Won The War


in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting? The sting of death is sin; and the power of sin is the law: but thanks be to God, who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ

Today December 13, 2009 at 4:47 p.m. my father, James Thomas Pucci Jr. lost his battle with cancer. It was an ugly, hideous battle... one in which virtually everyone privy to Dad's condition, stood in awe of this man's strength and will to fight and live. It was the most courageous battle I've ever witnessed. It was the most courageous and hideous battle with death I could have ever imagined... save for one. 

As I watched my father fighting, struggling, suffering.... drugged with enough medicines to kill two war horses, yet still responsive, I begged... for what seemed like an eternity, I begged the Lord to take his suffering.  I pleaded with my Dad to let go of this life and go home... but as Adam pointed out, Dad has fought for everything... his entire life, he didn't know how to not fight... I began getting upset... no, I was getting down-right angry at God for letting him fight.. this struggle and suffering is what Dad had feared the most.  Mom and Mary then told me that at one point Dad had specifically told them not to get mad at God... This helped. Tremendously. My mind quickly went to the One, the One who suffered and died... truly, the most courageous and hideous battle with death... with sin. My sin. My Dad's sin... that was ever fought. For me. For my Dad. Because of me. Because of my Dad... willingly.  He knows my Dad's suffering... and immeasurable amounts more.  He still weeps with us... for us.  For Dad.

Sin is death.  The parallels between my Dad's cancer and sin, seem to me, to be unending... My sister and I both had visions of Jesus holding my father today.  Mine differed from my sisters in that I envisioned Jesus behind my father holding him almost exactly like the picture I posted on "FAITH" a while back. My Dad had been sitting up in bed for an entire month... today he slumped like that man in the picture, but he kept lifting his head to take one more painful breath... I saw the Lord pulling Dad... pulling him from the chains around his ankles that were keeping Dad attached to this world.  I saw the Lord weeping as He tugged... "Dad. Jesus said, 'Come to me all ye who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.' Go to him Dad! Go home to Him." Mom and Mary agreed and encouraged Dad as they begged the Lord to make it happen. It was about an hour or so later, when finally alone with Mom, Dad experienced defeat in the battle, and in the same moment, the victory of the war that had been won for Him some 2000 yrs before he was ever born.  

To those of you who knew my Dad, I believe you would tell me that your life has been made richer by him. To those of you who did not, I pray that you will have that opportunity in Glory. 

I'm so fried. Sorry if this is incoherent, winded, and or sappy (all of the above???)  I will post funeral arrangements ASAP. Again, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Mary called last night. My heart is with you guys and I'm praying today. I really believe God is going to give you wonderful gifts this Christmas. Keep your eyes and heart open for them. Our Abba daddy knows how to comfort and has the balm presence to soothe and make perfect your loss. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    so so sorry to hear about your loss. You and your family have been in my thoughts and will continue to be in my thoughts for the tough months to come. Katie (from p.com)

    ReplyDelete