Tuesday, November 17, 2009

STINKIN' THINKIN' (about Dad)


It's been bad here for several days now. Dad was admitted to the hospital early Friday morning... the short of it is that the oncologist was less than forthright with Dad and Mom.  The cancer is pretty much everywhere...in his bones, in organs, his adrenal glands... When he arrived at the hospital his kidneys were malfunctioning, his blood pressure was 70/55 (Seventy over fifty five!), he was dehydrated b/c he was so nauseous, he couldn't even look at food without dry-heaving.... since then it has been a real roller-coaster. We think he's getting better, then we find out something else is wrong.  They can't give him chemo until he can tolerate it... he can't seem to tolerate merely staying stable for more than a couple of hours.

We all agree that 50% of Dad's "Feeling Better" is due to how well the pain is controlled, and the other 50% seems to hinge on what the doctors tell him. Today, when they began radiating his bronchial tube (tumor there keeping him from breathing properly and causing his lungs to fill with fluid), the tech said something about the cancer (that my dad was unaware of until then) in his shoulder/arm, this brought him low. He doesn't even know that it's in his bone there. He just knows it's been hurting.  Yet, he had a liter of fluid drained from his lung, they radiated inside his bronchial tube and he was up walking around saying how good he felt.  One of his doctors walked in just as Dad was beginning to feel weak. The doctor was there to inform dad that the procedures done today had caused his lung to collapse. The doctor was astounded. "How was this man up and walking around?" The man was here not two months ago, painting my house!! If he hadn't always been this seemingly super-human being... this may not be quite as devastating to watch... none-the-less, it is devastating.  I don't know where my Dad stands in his relationship with God. He doesn't know... none of us seem to be able to show him... to give him that blessed assurance that Jesus is his.  I keep hearing, reading...seeing, Proverbs 3:5- "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths." I know this applies to me in every area of my life (hence "in all your ways"), but how does it apply to my dad...now?  What is the lord teaching me? What am I to do?  All I do is think think think about it... about him... The answer is more praying, and less Stinkin' Thinkin'

As of this evening, it looks like Dad may be in the hospital for a few weeks while they wait for the bronchial tumor to shrink with the radiation, then they can inflate his lung.... we thought he was coming home last night...then this afternoon. Please pray.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrea and Adam. I read your blog and am up to speed on the situation. Many prayers for God's grace and the peace that surpasses understanding being sent up on your behalf and for Mary and Aaron and Mom and all family. If it's not one fire it's another, I suppose but praise God that He is faithful to us in the fire and that He uses every situation to show us more of Himself. I pray for your father with sincere affection and do believe that he will have assurance of salvation before his time comes. Please give him my love and tell him (if he remembers me) that I am praying for him. I'll be in Pittsburgh next week for Thanksgiving and perhaps God will ordain a visit. Peace,
    Phoebe

    ReplyDelete