Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Many Faces Of Pie Man







Pie Man in the Morning>>

My girlfriend who had 3 boys, 2 yrs apart (just like me = ) ), finally had a sweet baby girl. This friend has a voice like an angel and she used to sing a sweet little song to her baby girl... in the song she would call her daughter "Apple Pie"... I don't know if it was because my girlfriend's voice was so beautiful... or if it was purely the fact that it was a beautiful experience just to watch this mother, so in love with her baby, singing to this Wee One, a song she made just for her... whatever the case, I just loved her little song. 

When Paolo was born, I "stole" my girlfriend's song and changed the words into "Paolo Pie". It was out of this song that poor Paolo was dubbed "Pie Man".  Looking back, I wonder now if my little ditty didn't have something to do with Paolo's "zeal" for life... The fact that when I sing, it sounds like a fog horne...with a cat in heat trapped inside, did not give me pause... "Might this be a form of torture resulting in behavioral problems later on?"...never crossed my wee mind.... he still smiled at me when I sang. In fact, he smiled all of the time.

At any rate, by the time Paolo was 9 months old we had to put him in a "Big Boy Bed" with side rails. He was climbing out of his crib and I was afraid he would get his leg caught and...well, get hurt. The first time we had him in the E.R. he was less than a yr old... an egg on his head, the size of the one you see pictured here.  The attending Dr. told us not to worry, it looked worse than it was, and that, judging by how he got the egg, we would most likely be back to the E.R. quite a bit in the future.

By the time Paolo was one year old, he had morphed into a rubber ball. He no longer walked, he bounced. On the coffee table... from the coffee table to the couch and onto the tall large radiator... I was afraid to have baby-sitters because... well, how do you try and explain this to someone? He was two years old the first time we had someone outside of our family here to baby-sit him. She's the daughter of a good friend, and she had had a little bit of experience with our boys in the nursery at church.  About 45 minutes after we left the house she called me in bit of a panic: "Um Andrea, I just walked out of the room for one second..." At that point I tried to reassure her that she did not need to reassure me that she was being vigalent... after all, Paolo has destroyed all modes of electronic communication in our home whilst I was visiting the ladies room... She went on: "So I came back into the living room and he was sitting on the mantle, smiling.  I have no idea how he got up there."


<<< Pie Man in the Eve.


With his endless
"energy" comes an equal amount of sweet gentleness. 
Pie Man in the Morning is the other face of Paolo. He is unbelievably thoughtful and gentle when he "should be." He's ready with hugs and kisses and a word from the Lord... at just the right time.  I have come to the conclusion that if Paolo didn't bounce, the sweet side of him would be squelched...


Not too long ago Sam was a bit upset because Paolo had "bounced" into an invention of his and broke it. Sam told Adam "I just wish Paolo wasn't Mr. Bounce! I want to take away his bounce!" Adam, who speaks Sam's language, promptly asked, "But Sam, what happened to Tigger when he lost his bounce???"  Sam didn't answer, he just shook his head in resignation. Paolo has to bounce!


Thank you Lord for our sweet, bouncing ball of a son!


PS I haven' the slightest idea where the healing "b00'boo" on his chin came from...neither does he. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment